So here we are. A new venture.
After many questions regarding, "why don't you have a blog?!" posed to me in the recent years, I've decided it's time. Anyone who knows me. knows to not start a conversation about knitting or anything fiber art related, unless they are ready to delve into said conversation for hours.
With all the social media outlets out there now, it's easy to get lost in the world surrounding fiber and textiles. I have decided that it may be good to start a home base for all the various projects I'm working on and other beautiful pieces that others are working on that can inspire.
I will be kicking off this whole blog-sphere endeavor talking about my current Fiber to Sweater project.
I have recently, as in the past 5 weeks, began spinning and have become completely hooked. When I say hooked, I mean obsessed. I started out with drop spinning in February and quickly moved onto a Schacht Ladybug. Once I started on the Ladybug I was hooked with its speed and accessibility. Complete and utter love.
Earlier this year I had made one of those very trendy roving blankets out of some locally milled and sheared, Idaho Targhee. Once I brought the Ladybug home. I almost immediately decided that blanket was no good and started to frog it for the fiber. It's really like an addiction, I have already pondered what my cats hair would spin up like....
With the amount of wool I already had from that blanket, I got the idea that this would be my first sweater project from hand spun wool. After spinning about 3 small skeins, roughly 2-3 ounce hanks, for consistency, I realized this yarn would be perfect for the beautiful Snoqualmie by Michele Wang for Brooklyn Tweed.
Ever since this pattern was published in January, I have been aching to make it. It was inspired by the Snoqualmie Valley, which is where I spent a large part of my youth, and so, this pattern seemed so perfectly fitting for my fiber to sweater endeaver.
Finding the sweet spot for spinning took a couple hanks, but I am happy to say I have found a perfect stride. Luckily, my gauge was very close to the pattern so no repatterning was neccessary.
The entire sweater is worked flat in pieces, including the sleeves, and seamed together. The collar looks to have some minimal short row shaping and is worked by picking up stitches. I have so far finished the back and nearly the left front panel and they are coming out beyond beautiful.
My plan is to use some handmade, antler buttons from The Yarn Underground to add that extra bit of bespoked, locally made flair.
I am just so excited for the final outcome. I will try to update with news as it comes along.